Friday, April 27, 2007

Should it stay, or should it go?

My divorced friend once confided that a woman usually changes her hair after a divorce.

Maybe it's a reflection of change. So it was with her, and now with me.

My tresses, once cropped short and styled with a simple shake of the head, are now to my shoulders. I can almost tuck what used to be my bangs behind my ears. And I can scoop up all my hair and pull it back into a sizeable ponytail.

In an attempt to disguise the grey that seems to sprout like dandelions on a golf green, I have an appointment in two weeks for highlights. And, like every other appointment I've had in the last two years, I ponder:

Should I cut it? Or let it go?

I actually toy from time to time with growing enough hair to donate to someone like Locks for Love or Wigs for Kids. While a worthy cause, I think my self-restraint with dealing with my hair will be long gone before it gets to a decent, donatable length.

And that time may be soon. I'm starting to feel like "American Idol's" Sanjaya. My hair tickles the back of my neck, falls into my eyes and annoys me in general.

But I'll probably keep it when the time comes for a decision. Probably.

Or maybe not.

No comments: