Monday, April 30, 2007

Smells like Kurt's spirit

Courtney Love says she's going to sell Kurt Cobain's things.
"My daughter doesn't need to inherit a giant ... bag full of flannel ... shirts," says Love, former frontwoman of the rock band Hole. "A sweater, a guitar and the lyrics to '(Smells Like) Teen Spirit' -- that's what my daughter gets. And the rest of it we'll just ... sell." (Insert the f-bomb where the ellipses are.)

I missed the whole Nirvana craze, but I'm living it now. My 14-year-old has decided that Kurt's da bomb, and I have yet to break it to her that his widow is selling off his belongings.

I must admit, my first thought was How could she? Then, I paused.

I thought back to going through my mother's things. The dolls she loved ... the angels she collected. Without Mom, they were just stuff. The love my mother had for them -- that's what made them special.

I have found myself decluttering after spending a year sorting through Mom's receipts, photos, Bibles and the like. In the back of my mind, I keep telling myself that I'm doing it for The Girl -- so she won't face such a daunting task of "Should I keep this? Or should I let it go?"

I imagine things are the same for Courtney. Of course there are things she'll keep. But without Kurt, most of his belongings have lost their magic.

Break out the tags and Sharpies, Courtney. We're having a sale!

No comments: