Wednesday, April 4, 2007

You'll shoot your eye out, kid

I don't know if I can ever forgive Robert Clark for forcing Rhinestone on the world.

The only redeeming value to it was that it starred that other East Tennessee gal, Dolly Parton. I remember watching it at the drive-in and thinking, "What the hell does Sly Stallone think he's doing up there? He can't sing. Heck, he can't really act!"

Pitiful, it was.

I can forgive Clark that one transgression. The man directed "Porky's," after all. Sophomoric though it was, it gave me more than one giggle as I watched it in my youth.

(Why do I all of a sudden want to call a bar and ask for Mike Hunt, a la Bart Simpson? I can hear Moe asking, "Mike Hunt? Is Mike Hunt here? I have a call for Mike Hunt." I'll be damned if I didn't laugh outloud while typing that. See? "Porky's" was good for something.)

But Clark's masterpiece was the holiday classic, "A Christmas Story." Little Ralphie and his Red Ryder are as much a part of Christmas as Santa Claus. I can't even pick my favorite part of that movie ...
  • The Chinese waiters singing "Fa-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra."
  • "Oh, fuuuuuuuuuuddgeeeeeee ..."
  • "It's a major award!"
  • "You broke it on purpose!"
  • "It was (gasp!) soap poisoning."
  • The Bumpuses' dogs (all 17 of 'em) sneaking into the house to scarf down the turkey while Darren McGavin hunches behind his newspaper.
  • Mrs. Schwartz, though we never see her, screaming, "What!?! What!?!" and pulverizing her son because she thinks he taught Ralphie to use the F-bomb.
  • And, of course, "You'll shoot your eye out!"
In this house (and many across America) the 24-hour broadcast of "A Christmas Story" is a holiday tradition. I feel my mood shift to blue when I watch the credits roll for the last time, because it means, essentially, that Christmas is over.

Robert Clark, that brilliant mastermind whose direction brought Ralphie to life, was killed with his son today on an LA highway. http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/04/obit.clark.ap/index.html?eref=rss_showbiz.

The father and son lost their lives in a head-on collision with a drunk driver who, of course, sustained minor injuries. Such a sad and senseless end to a man whose leaves a holiday legacy that gives so many a reason to smile.

Thanks for the laughs, Bob. We'll try hard not to shoot our eyes out.

No comments: