Saturday, June 2, 2007

It was 40 years ago today ...


(In the U.S. that is) That the Beatles released Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, the album Rolling Stone refers to as the best of all time. Ever. Period. Who am I to argue with one of the industry's most respected periodicals?

The album was released a day earlier in Britain. (On my parents' anniversary, but that's neither here nor there -- although they and the Beatles ultimately met the same fate ...)
Choosing a favorite song is like asking a mother to choose her favorite child. (I never have a problem with the latter, however.) I love Ringo's nasal twang in "With a Little Help from My Friends." "A Day in the Life" ... a mixture of Lennon and McCartney in one song. "When I'm 64" holds a dear place. Cute, catchy and hey, who other than Heather Mills wouldn't love Paul now that he's 64 -- almost 65?!? Plus, it's in The World According to Garp, a movie based on one of my favorite novels.
Check out "Sgt. Pepper: A to Z," and listen to some of the tunes while you're there.

Happy birthday, Sgt. Pepper!

No comments: