Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Where do I sign up?

Can anyone out there in cyberspace tell me how I can apply for a position with the Center for Science in the Public Interest?

For those unfamiliar, this posturing organization has taken us to task for at least a decade over the foods we eat. That's OK -- I know I put empty calories and nutritionally lacking food in my mouth daily.

What I don't get is their reports. The contents of said reports are presented as if they are earth-shattering information. They are earth shattering only if you're a buffoon.

(Aside to buffoons: The preceding remark was not meant as a slam to you.)

I wrote a newspaper column several years ago about one of their reports: breakfast foods are bad for you. Now tell me, who doesn't know that?

They're at it again. Note the following headline:

Chinese restaurant food draws criticism

Does it have bugs in it? No. They really use cats in their General Tso's? Nada. My ex was really correct when he dubbed skewered teriyaki chicken "rat on a schtick"? Not even close.

The revelation, and I quote the AP article's lede, in part:

The typical Chinese restaurant menu is a sea of
nutritional no-nos


I think my eyes rolled into the next county. No shit, Sherlock! It's bad for you? Who knew?!?

Bonnie Liebman, the consumer group's nutritional director, has uncovered that Chinese food is laden with -- are you ready for this? -- SODIUM!

What rock has Bonnie been living under? EVERYBODY knows the stuff has a ton of sodium! My 13-year-old knows it. My Pekingese knows it, and not because he's Chinese.

How the hell could you NOT know?

Bonnie the Dietary Goddess acknowledges that Chinese restaurants have many veggie offerings, but that's not necessarily a good thing because -- I know you've been on the edge of your seat -- they're loaded with calories and sodium, too!

Per AP:

"We were shocked. We assumed the vegetables were all
low in calories," Liebman said.


(Note to Bonnie: You need to use some of the money from your next CSPI paycheck to buy a clue.)

I'm not sure what's worse: A consumer group that's obviously filled with crackpot "experts" or media groups such as the Associated Press for giving them attention.

There go those rolling eyes, again. Maybe somebody in Cumberland County can catch them for me?

No comments: